nafex - [NAFEX] Pruning Apricots

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pruning Apricots
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 18:09:11 -0500

My Goldcot Apricot had started blooming in early April when the temperature here dropped to 23° F, killing all of the blossoms and unopened flower buds. No big surprise, since that's happened every year since I planted it in 2006 (I did get a half-dozen apricots last year).

Right now, the main branches are lined with spurs that appear dead (no leaves, at least). The smaller branches, too, are bare of leaves for half to two-thirds of their length. All of the leaves are at the ends, mostly on the new growth of the year. Is this normal, or did the freeze kill most of the leaf buds, too? And will there be new flower and leaf buds there next spring? In other words, will these branches and spurs recover, or should I be doing something, um,... more aggressive in restoring the tree?

I'm just wondering how I need to prune the tree to keep it producing flower buds. I didn't need to do much dormant pruning this year, since I've got the branches held quite horizontal to slow its growth a bit. Of course, that was before the buds froze. But I am doing some summer pruning and training now, mostly removing some very vigorous vertical shoots (which I expected). The tree looks healthy, but the inside is pretty bare. Assuming that the weather cooperates next year, will these bare areas produce buds again?

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him. - Mark Twain