nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fireblight

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fireblight
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 21:26:20 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Bob,

Every year on pears and apples I have blossoms that open long after petal fall for most of the tree.  This year was no different, three days ago I saw about 20 open blossom clusters on Horse and Mutsu when both trees have ping-pong ball size fruit - I pinched all of them out because in past years I found they set no fruit or resulted in very small fruit.  Anyone know why these blossoms break so late?

Jim Nottke  z7 NC