nafex - [NAFEX] Fireblight

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: Nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fireblight
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 08:42:33 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

All,

After last year's discussion on fireblight I meant to write down the
concensus recommendation on manual control.
What I recollect is that it was to prune out the twig/branch a few inches
below the symptoms as soon as it is noticed, leaving an "ugly stub" if
necessary, rinsing clippers with alcohol between cuts. Then taking out ugly
stubs during the dormant season. Is that correct?
I just found the first couple "shepherd's crooks" on my pear trees, expect to
see it on apples soon.
Thanks,

Jim Nottke
Zone 7