nafex - Re: [NAFEX] High Density Planting

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] High Density Planting
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 17:47:14 -0500

When apples are pretty cheap at the store, at least compared to raspberries, I'd rather grow raspberries.

This might be true for apples, but I can't get great-tasting plums or peaches from a grocery store. It wasn't until last year, when I first picked my own, that I realized how good they can be.

It's sort of like growing tomatoes. No matter how cheap tomatoes might be, I'd still want to grow my own, because that's the only way to get tomatoes that actually taste good.

Still, you're right. There are many fruits that grow on bushes or vines. My strawberries have been great, though back-breaking to pick. And nothing has done as well as my raspberries or grapes. My gooseberries bear well, too - and mostly in the shade - but they're not that great-tasting when ripe (they make great pies, though). And I still haven't figured out what to do with currents. My freezer is still full of the ones I picked last year. :-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I believe I found the missing link between animal and civilized man. It is us. - Konrad Lorenz