nafex - Re: [NAFEX] High Density Planting

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] High Density Planting
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 16:20:50 -0500

Melissa,

We have over 12,000 trees, are professional growers and find the high density, tall spindle system the least labor intensive of all planting systems for apples, especially an espalier 4 wire system.  That is the most intensive since the branches have to be trained to travel the trellis wire, but you can plant trees 3 feet apart and can get a dozen trees in a space 3' by 40'.  Those cheap apples at the store are most always last year's apples that have been in Controlled Atmospheric Storage all winter and get soft or are already soft within a few days of purchase.  Give me a fresh, right off the tree apple any day!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174