nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winterkill in Black Raspberries???

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winterkill in Black Raspberries???
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 19:05:08 -0500

Are you all talking about nice neat rows where you try to keep the same
plants, same roots, year after year? Maybe the secret is to keep replacing
the old plants.

Maybe, but that doesn't seem to be my problem this year. My raspberry patch is in rows - not very neat ones - but it has grown from just one plant. One row has stayed about in the same place for years, and that's actually the row where some canes survived. I moved the other row in 2007 to give me more room between them, and to lengthen the row a bit, and that's the row where all my canes died. (Both rows did extremely well last year).

But it's really hard to say for sure, because, yes, they tip root and want to grow everywhere, so I'm always adjusting things a bit.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
It just absolutely boggles the mind. I wouldn't want my doctor thinking that intelligent design was an equally plausible hypothesis to evolution any more than I would want my airplane pilot believing in the flat Earth. - Dr. James Langer