nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winterkill in Black Raspberries???

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winterkill in Black Raspberries???
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 07:56:25 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,

There definitely seems to be a correlation with variety and severity of this
problem. For example, in some trials, Allen seems to last a year or so
longer without its floricanes completely dying over the winter, however its
fruit size drops way off before hand, which makes it just as uneconomical.
This has been a steady problem here in the PNW. 50 years ago the average
life of a black raspberry planting was 7-8 years. It is now half that or
less, and it used to be much more than that. From our research on genetic
markers in the named varieties as compared to the wild plants we've collected
and that have been sent to us, it appears that all the named varieties are
VERY closely related to each other, so its no surprise that they should all
suffer from more or less the same problems.

Much like red raspberry, there is no reason why a healthy black raspberry
planting can't live for decades, the problem is keeping them healthy.

For what its worth, the only planting I've seen of Pequot here in Oregon does
not look very good. It's on a site with moderate verticillium pressure and
the plants have declined very fast, in fact I think the only live floricanes
I saw on it was the first spring after the plants were established.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com