nafex - Re: [NAFEX] H. Red vs Poorman was Gooseberries

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] H. Red vs Poorman was Gooseberries
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 23:14:46 -0700 (PDT)

Doug,  That's a hard question for me to answer accurately without doing some objective measurements.  My feel for the situation is that H. Red is slightly better in terms of fruit productivity.  I would claim that fruit size is similar without doing the measurements.

Frankly I have problems telling the two apart, except for the subjective observation about slightly different ripening times, which overlap.

I have made some minor efforts to propagate using prunings of various sizes, but not had much success with these two.  Hinnomaki Yellow, an excellent, very cold hardy yellow berry, is trivially easy to propagate in comparison, tip rooting itself all the time.

Keep in mind that my Poorman was a discounted nursery rescue acquisition and is slightly a different size from my H. Red and I keep my gooseberries somewhat rootbound in pots.

My favorite gooseberries are H. Red (or Poorman), H. Yellow, Glendale and Black Velvet of about 15-20 varieties in trial.  Hope this helps.  I haven't found any better than the ones mentioned, but there are others similar and almost as good.