nafex - [NAFEX] Borer damage - worth save attempt?

  • From: Andrew Dewey <andrew@beeberrywoods.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Borer damage - worth save attempt?
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:18:08 -0400

I hate deer cages. They keep me from inspecting and doing as much preventative TLC as I should like to my trees. Yesterday I removed the cage from a 5 yo Northern Spy only to discover a hole (about 1/16") in the stem just below the graft and about 1 1/2" above the soil line. The tree is leafing out so the wound hasn't proved fatal yet.

Can a tree like this be saved? What are the potential consequences of cleaning out the wound and filling it with grafting wax (or something else)? Is it worth considering raising the soil level so as to cover the graft? (The tree is on standard size root stock)

If it was a fast growing tree I'd probably just say to hell with it and replace it next spring with one of the grafts in my "nursery." But Northern Spy takes soooo long to fruit that I hate to give up on it.

Thoughts?