nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ribes - deer palatability?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ribes - deer palatability?
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 13:30:26 -0400

I have lots of fat, well-fed deer. So 'light' deer pressure, as my deer
can afford to be picky.

They ate almost my entire crop of apples last year, but as far as I can
tell have never touched my completely unprotected currant bushes. I have
european red currants, clove currants, a gooseberry, and I used to have a
european back currant. No deer issues yet with any of them.

(they like the twigs of domestic apples a lot, much more than the twigs of
native crab apples. They are very fond of redbud. They like winter hazel.
They like ripe tomatos, but not tomato vines. At least, that's been my
experience.)
___
Ginda
eastern Mass., zone 6