nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Freeze or Frost?

  • From: "Lori Rizzo" <larizzo@charter.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Freeze or Frost?
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 00:28:15 -0400

I just got finished setting out my transplants (3-4 inches tall, and newly
sprouted melons & squash) at 11 pm - was listening to my sony and the TV
station said it was going down into the 40's tonight - my baby tomato
seedlings on the porch were starting to curl up with the cold. Good thing I
got them inside - after having a bumper crop of seedlings using suggestions
from this list, I lost almost the entire set last month setting them out to
harden - I had to go to work for a couple of hours, and an unexpected cold
front blew in. The turned translucent and white, and then died.

Hmm...The weather channel just contradicted our local forecast and says it
won't get below 56 tonight - and tomorrow should be 77 degrees.

This will be the first year I will be selling some produce at the farmer's
market - I don't have fruit trees or bushes yet - still planning the orchard
- but over 20 varieties of tomatoes, 10 varieties of pepper, lots of unusual
melons, squash, and even 'pretzel beans'. I would love to have a place a
bit further north where I could really do apples & berries, but TN is where
I ended up for now. My goal is to grow unusual varieties for the local
farmer's markets. I will say, I have been bringing in rapini, Italian
broccoli, mesclun lettuce mix, spicy greens, etc., to work and only one
person will eat them - East TN folks do not like foods outside of the local
palate, IMO. I love pomegranates and brought them to work several times for
lunch last fall. Nobody knew what they were - and I ended up giving half of
them to people to try - I can't imagine someone who's never tried one - when
they are all over in the stores nowadays!

Lori

Lori Rizzo, RN BSN MBA
Health Care Quality Improvement
Pet Training & Behavior Improvement!