nafex - [NAFEX] Freeze or Frost?

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: NAFEx <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Freeze or Frost?
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 00:13:45 -0400

Well, the apricots are in full bloom, the plums are about half way done opening their flowers, the pear trees are about to bloom and the apples are still pretty tight.

The National Weather Service forecast is for a low of 23 tonight with "Patchy Frost". The weather channel was predicting a hard freeze with a low of 30. (I see they are now saying 26 degrees.)

Mostly I'm just complaining about the weather but my question is, how can the NWS call 23 degrees "Patchy Frost"? Wouldn't that be a pretty widespread frost at that temperature? Wouldn't it actually be a hard freeze?

Steve in the Adirondacks