nafex - Re: [NAFEX] zone 9 apple?

  • From: "Lori Rizzo" <larizzo@charter.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] zone 9 apple?
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 22:48:58 -0400

I am assuming this person has moved to southern or south-central Texas?  There is such a range of soils in Texas.  They should go on the TAMU extension web site – they have a lot of information about good varieties there.  I lived in College Station for 20 years – and rarely saw apples in the area.  A couple of pears – peaches & apricots do well in the hill country.  There is an organic nursery in Austin, TX that has wonderful native varieties that are well adapted – if you Google “the organic gardener, Austin, TX”, you will find the nursery’s website. One good thing is, you can grow pomegranates there.  Most people think you have a nice long growing season there, but what you have, in fact, is two short seasons, as the mid-summer will burn out most of your vegetables, etc.

The other thing is, the soil in central Texas (College Station area), is pretty much clay.  I had to amend soil yearly, at least.

Lori Rizzo, RN BSN MBA

Health Care Quality Improvement

Pet Training & Behavior Improvement!

Maryville, TN