nafex - Re: [NAFEX] zone 9 apple?

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] zone 9 apple?
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 15:53:19 -0500

Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote that was published in the Jan./Feb. issue of Texas Gardener magazine. There are recommendations for three different areas of Texas with this excerpt for the lower chill areas:

"Southeast and Coastal Plains (low chill areas):

Anna – An early ripening greenish apple with a large red blush that was developed in Israel. Has an extremely low chilling requirement of only 200 hours. A good pollination partner for Dorsett Golden. Ripens in early July. A heavy producer.

Dorsett Golden – Medium sized yellow apple with a crisp, sweet flavor. Requires only 100 chilling hours. A good pollination partner for Anna. Ripens in July.

Ein Shemer – A yellow apple that ripens in June. Requires 200 chilling hours.

Reverend Morgan – Originated by Reverend Herman Morgan of Houston from seed of Granny Smith in 1965. It is well adapted to most areas in USDA zones 7 – 9. The fruit is medium-large with a pinkish-red colored skin over a greenish background. Ripens in August. Requires 400 chilling hours.

Mollies Delicious – A Red apple that has good size and taste. Colors well in our summer heat. Grown as far south as Houston. Ripens in late July to Mid August depending on your location. Requires 400 chilling hours. Fairly good disease resistance.

Beverly Hills – A light yellow apple with a red blush from California. Has a sweet but slightly tart flavor which many people enjoy. Requires 300 chilling hours.

Adina – A large, pale green apple that was developed in Australia with a sweet distinctive cinnamon-like flavor. Ripens in late June or early July. Requires 200-300 chill hours.

In addition: Granny Smith seems to do well in this region in most years."

Here are some sources for Texas apple trees:

"SOURCES FOR TREES: Apple trees are available at many nurseries and retail garden centers in Texas. Here are three selected sources for listed varieties:

Womack Nursery Co., 2551 State Hwy. 6, De Leon, TX 76444-6330, phone: 254-893-6497. Bareroot trees in Dec., Jan. and Feb.

Love Creek Orchards, 13558 State Hwy. 16N, Medina, TX, 78055 or at the Apple Store in Medina. Phone: 830-589-2588 Containerized trees year-around.

Van Well Nurseries, P.O. Box 1339 Wenatchee, WA, 98807 phone: 509-886-8189 website: www.vanwell.net Bareroot trees in the winter and early spring."

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Richard Ashton