nafex - Re: [NAFEX] soil testing equipment

  • From: David Oliver <david.thefields@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] soil testing equipment
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 07:55:25 -0400

Dennis,

Thanks for your reply. In this project, the trees are permanently in 25 gal containers. As a means of dealing with fluctuating winter temperatures of Mid-Atlantic states that most stone fruit cannot tolerate, the trees are moved from outside into temperature controlled dormant storage sometime in December. They are moved into greenhouse at bloom. Following last frost, the trees are moved back outside completing the cycle.

The process is challenging. But there have been successes with sweet cherry, pluots, and apricots using this method. Peaches (surprisingly) and nectarines have posed more problems. (My apple orchard is conventional and outside.) Tree structure (pruning), proper nutrition, and moisture control are critical to control root disease. Disease in the greenhouse (aphids and spider mites) has not been a serious problem and is controlled with insecticidal soaps.

I do have a media pile composed of pH adjusted 75% pine bark, 25% sand. Soil can be properly prepared on initiating a tree. However, maintaining nutrition as the seasons pass requires both visual observation of the tree and some measure of the nutrient situation at each point int time. At several tens of dollars per test, lab testing is not economically feasible except perhaps in certain critical cases. On site testing with a "kit" is more appropriate. The problem with kits, e.g.

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3081593

is small sample size. However, by taking a significant set of samples from the container, carefully homogenizing them in a blender thoroughly and then taking the final sample for the reagents from this homogeneous blend, I believe on-site kits can be useful for the basics of pH, K, P, and N. (though I have yet to prove this). That's all I can tell you at this point. I was hoping those on this list would know far more about testing than I do. Most apparently do not. You do for a procedure required for your operation and I thank you for it. What you are doing seems quite appropriate. My situation is somewhat different.

David Oliver

Message: 2