nafex - Re: [NAFEX] soil testing equipment

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] soil testing equipment
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 16:05:15 -0500

David,

We have always used A & L Great Lakes Labs for our soil tests. We take the samples ourselves and get results in a few days via their web site documents service with any recommendations for amendments. We also do leaf testing at the same time and those results we submit to Wilbur-Ellis for foliar spray recommendations if out trees show uptake issues. We have 120 acres to test, so this works best for us. Do you keep your dwarf trees in the containers 100% of the time? Do you have a location where you could build a topsoil holding block (a pile of top soil)? When we were using our greenhouse regularly, we used a topsoil pile that we had tested once each spring and amended the pile according to the soils test. We had it enclosed on three sides to keep it from getting contaminated just like a composting pile. In fact, we always added some compost to it throughout the year and tested it prior to use. One pile, one test, than many 10 gallon containers with the same soil mix. Just a thought!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174