nafex - Re: [NAFEX] plum curculio in cold and wet

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plum curculio in cold and wet
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 13:45:39 -0500

Neil,

Plum curculio become active at a base temperature of 43 degrees F. So in any temp above 43, they can become active. They are mostly active at night and will begin to migrate into trees from overwintering wooded areas at about 113 degree days, base 43. Their migration is almost always based on tree phenology, which in turn, is based on degree days. Therefore, a degree day model is best for timing their movement. In Maryland, they may start to migrate a bit earlier, possibly at or just before tight cluster. Surround is only a repellant and you need to make multiple applications starting before bloom to achieve complete coverage. They will remain active in rain, especially if they have been overwintering below the soil line. For a complete look at PC control and their life cycle based on a degree day model for both apples and cherries you can download the PDf at http://www.treefruit.msu.edu/extension/CAT/21_14b.pdf which I use for all of my PC timing. Hope this helps.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174