nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scout Apricot (Jam)

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scout Apricot (Jam)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 14:38:11 -0400

In the past, Manchurian apricot seedlings werre sold by Prairie nurseries, at a lower price and as pollinators. I expect there was also a lot of rootstock material floating around. I don't know the extent of the variability, but I would expect quite a lot especially as regards fruit quality. Considerable variation in respect to dormancy problems has been noted among the named Manchurian apricot selections sold on the Canadian Prairies.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Jim Fruth wrote:
Doug Woodard wrote, ".................Manchurian apricots. I have eaten jam reportedly made of
them by an Edmonton homeowner - pleasant but a bit bland."

The flavor of the Manchurian Apricot jam I tasted was too intense. Had we been given any more of it, we'd have thrown it out. That leads me to ask, given Doug's comment, above, is there alot of variability within the species? Or did the maker of Doug's jam dilute its flavor.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: