nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scout and Manchurian Apricots

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scout and Manchurian Apricots
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:39:09 -0700 (PDT)

I have had two Manchurian apricot bushes for 4 years. One is 6+ feet tall
and the other is barely 4' even though they are planted about 15 feet apart.
I got them as 6" seedlings from McFayden. Neither of them has ever died
back, not even one bud!

I also put in two Scout apricots last fall. I understand they are Manchurian
apricot seedlings ??? I can't really comment on their hardiness: they have a
fair bit of dead twigs on them, but I'm guessing that has more to do with the
very long warm dry fall we had after a long hot dry summer. My Scouts are
definitely trees while the Manchurians are definitely bushes.

I would love to comment on their fruit, but none of my apricots have
blossomed yet. I have heard some pretty disappointing reviews on the taste
of prairie hardy apricots.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB