nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tree planting in the driest place on Earth/Digging in rocks

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tree planting in the driest place on Earth/Digging in rocks
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 14:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

Good luck to this restoration program. Another country that needs this is Qatar, where my family spends part of the year. It's a desert, because it virtually never rains, but it's terribly humid, and the mornings can be quite foggy. The humidity makes the extreme heat feel that much worse.

But who needs an environment when you have lots of fossil fuels and air conditioning?

Slightly closer to topic, any advice on digging holes for trees and fenceposts? I might say that my soil is rocky, or I might say that my rocks are dirty. I got a book on building fences that says my posts should be sunk 2 or 3 feet into the ground. We're hiring a guy with some hole-drilling equipment, but I'm having trouble picturing how any equipment wouldn't just break in this ground. We dug a hole for a tree yesterday, which meant we'd dig a few inches through soil and small rocks, and then the shovel would go "clang" so we'd get the pickax and pry out a rock about a foot in diameter and 3 inches thick. Then repeat. This is slow going for wide holes for trees, but doable. I don't see how deep narrow holes for fenceposts would be possible, though.

Melissa