nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Biga/ Binga cherry

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Biga/ Binga cherry
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:42:04 -0400

Ken tends to take the optimistic approach, and he likes to encourage people to experiment and try new things. He doesn't revise his catalogue often. I think he is swamped with work, trying to do most of it himself.

Biga and Binga probably *are* hardier than Stella and Lapins, but that may not be saying much. I think that sweet cherries will survive where they will not fruit, espeially not reliably.

Netting sour cherries against the birds so they can be left on the tree until fully ripe may be a better route than trying to grow sweet cherries where they are not adapted. Some care with brown rot may also be needed. I like even Montmorency for eating fresh when they are fully ripe and very dark red.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Caren Kirk wrote:
Hi Doug,

It was actually in Ken's catalogue that I saw these being advertised. He classes them as Z3, hardier than Stella and Lapins (Z5). I've tried e-mailing hi for some more info but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Did you see/taste the cherries?

Caren.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas Woodard" <dwoodard@becon.org>