nafex - [NAFEX] pears

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pears
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:26:39 -0500

Most of the snow finally melted here. Went out this morning to look
at trees. The Ure and Golden Spice trees look great. No winter
damage and their buds are starting to swell. I have two Ussarian
pears but didn't inspect them yet. It was -44 F a number of times
last winter. People here told me their Ure pear trees died during
their first winter in the ground and not to plant them. I am going
to buy more Ure as soon as the nurseries open. Deer are being a real
nuisance so I bought a spool of electric wire and a electric fence
controller. I have four Maltese dogs but the deer ignore them when I
try to sic the dogs on them. My son put an electric fence around his
orchard and the deer kept well away from then.