nafex - [NAFEX] weird fungus on raspberry

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] weird fungus on raspberry
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 23:56:32 -0400

Today I something I've never seen before on one of the Caroline red raspberries I planted last year. They were heavily "pruned" by deer over the winter, to about 8 inches, and are just beginning to sprout - green tip.

Two of the canes of one of the plants had white stuff on them that looked fungal. At first glance it almost looked like someone had sprayed a little white paint in their direction, although there wasn't anything paint-like anywhere but on this plant. There were slightly raised white patches on the cane, and towards the end (near the part bitten off) every little thorn was covered with white. It was mostly the top end of the cane that was affected. That would be the top 3 inches of the 8 inches of cane the deer left.

The weirdest thing was that despite a little white fuzz directly on the green tip of the topmost bud, the bud appeared otherwise healthy, and the green immediately next to the white stuff looked normal, not dried, or curled, or discolored, or showing any other pathology.

I cut the two affected canes well below the white, and put the scuzzy bits in the municipal garbage can, not the mulch pile.

Does anyone know what I saw? How serious a problem is it?

Thanks,
Ginda Fisher
zone 6, eastern Mass.