nafex - [NAFEX] Buying conservation plants

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Buying conservation plants
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:12:07 -0500

Buyer beware! You might not get what you hope to.

Remember a month or so ago, I asked for suggestions about bitter Viburnum trilobum? Problem solved; a botanist friend of mine learned of a variety of V. trilobum with inedible fruit that is widely being used as a landscaping plant. Half of my V trilobum came from a landscaper friend and the other half came from the conservation plant grower, Lincoln-Oakes, Bismarck, ND and all have fruit that is too bitter to eat. The fruit is so bitter the birds won't eat it.
Conservation plant? I doubt it. So I called Lincoln-Oakes to complain and was told that they buy their seed and have no idea where it came from and whether or not it came from wild plants.
Rather than grub out my semi mature plants, I gathered scionwood from wild plants that I know to have edible and delicious fruit and, as soon as the snow goes away, I'm going to begin grafting.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Buying conservation plants, Jim Fruth, 04/16/2009