nafex - Re: [NAFEX] timing application of lime sulphur/dormant oil

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] timing application of lime sulphur/dormant oil
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:13:29 -0500

Seth,

You should be able to apply a Bordeaux (oil/lime sulphur) mixture up to green tip.  Since a Bordeaux mix is more for fire blight than for scab, if you miss your window, you can still do your primary scab spray using captan, or an EBDC such as Mancozeb.  A Superior oil can still be applied through 1/2" green, but not within 14 days of Captan.  So if you do happen to miss your oil/lime sulphur spray, and you still want to do an oil spray for mites, you can do a copper spray, a superior oil spray and a mancozeb spray.

We just did our copper spray last Friday.  My next spray will be Superior oil 70sec, but it has to be applied when night temps are going to stay above 40 degrees.  I a can also tank mix it with my EBDC, in this case, Penncozeb as long as I get both on at 1/4" to 1/2" green tip.  Using the EBDC gives me more flexibility this time of year and I can hold my Captan in reserve for later use and not have to worry about the oil/captan timing issue.  Hope this helps!

By the way, I have posted our spray protocol for the 2009 season on my blog.  If interested, you can find it at http://www.theorchardkeeper.com or http://www.theorchardkeeper.blogspot.com.  If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467
Mobile (815) 228-2174