nafex - [NAFEX] Apple pollinators

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple pollinators
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:22:55 -0500

Betsy Hilborn wrote, "The trees are full of honey bees- the most have seen for 5 years. Yet my apple blossoms seem barely visited."

My apple trees are rarely visited be either honey bees or bumblebees. When any of these bees visit apple blossoms, they don't stay long. These are usually visiting the plums that bloom at the same time. My main apple pollinators are the Blue Orchard Bees that are going after pollen. I'm assuming that my apple flowers either do not produce nectar or that nectar from other trees is more attractive. The orchard bees do a good job of pollinating and I nearly always get a bountiful crop.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Apple pollinators, Jim Fruth, 04/14/2009