nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Eggs of perdition(OT)

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Eggs of perdition(OT)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:26:09 -0700 (PDT)

I highly recommend Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats by Jerry Belanger.
Jerry has been in the business for years and knows a great deal. However,
don't panic when you read his book! He covers a great deal of stuff that I
have never seen or heard of from other goat farms in my 36 years of being
around dairy goats. Then again I have had two issues that he doesn't even
mention: that whole "Rainscald" thing and this really bizarre condition
called "Rag Doll Floppy Kid Syndrome" that is pretty common up here and
fortunately has a really fast/easy/kitchen fix (a few cc of baking soda water
given orally the minute you see a kid with a fat belly and no interest in
eating). Your other "reference" should be other goat breeders: we all seem
to be full of helpful advice which we are sometimes share a bit too freely!
The best thing you can do is find a local goat breeder (especially a dairy)
and ask them what they do and what problems they regularly deal
with. I could pass on my shot/supplement regime and it would probably kill
every animal you tried it on: our soil is so deathly low of Selenium up here
that what I give my animals poisons goats only 3-4 hours South of here, yet
mine/local goats die without the super doses!

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB