nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 75, Issue 65

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 75, Issue 65
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:10:17 -0500

At 04:01 PM 4/12/2009, Anita wrote:
Speaking of chickens eating weeds, my mother's chickens would eat kudzu leaves with great delight!

Anita,
Not much kudzu up here in the frigid northland(KY), but growing up in the land of the Vine That Ate The South, I'm very familiar with it - and it is a very palatable forage crop for many animal species.
When my kids were little, and we'd go home to AL to visit my parents, one of the first things my eldest would do would be to run out to the fence between the garden and hayfield and pick an armload of kudzu leaves for me to fry up. Dipped in buttermilk, dredged in seasoned flour and fried, they're pretty tasty - but then, most things are tasty fried!

Lucky