nafex - [NAFEX] Persistent herbicides in hay and manure

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Persistent herbicides in hay and manure
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 12:50:46 -0400

Recently the UK press has been abuzz with news of a 'new' class of broad-leaf herbicides that are persistant in animal manures and will ruin vegetable gardens.

As I was spreading composted manure and hay in my garden this spring, it occurred to me that I have not asked my latest hay supplier about his herbicide use.  I did a bit of research on these herbicides, and found that three different active ingredients, formulated and marketed under multiple names, have been implicated in secondary destruction of broadleaf crops: picloram (commonly sold as Tordon, Grazon, and Pathway), clopyralid (commonly sold as Stinger, Curtail, and Transline) and aminopyralid (commonly sold as Milestone, Milestone VM, and ForeFront R&P).

I found this release from the U MN extension service, and thought that I would share it with the group. For those of you who use hay and manure in your gardens/orchards:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/livestocksystems/M1197.html

Betsy Hilborn

7a NC