nafex - Re: [NAFEX] the blizzard that wasn't/planting potted trees

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] the blizzard that wasn't/planting potted trees
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 17:19:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Toni,

You have a problem on your hands. I got a peach order a couple of years ago
that came well before we could plant stuff outside. The poor trees had even
leafed out in transit! I planted them in pots and kept them inside my porch
and generally babied them until I could plant them outside. The problem you
need to be aware of is that once you plant your trees, they start sending out
nice little white rootlets.... which are going to snap off the minute you try
to plant them outside. Once you remove the pot, the dirt falls off the
original peach tree roots taking with it all the nice new white roots. I
wound up keeping my peach trees in pots half the summer (until a nice cool
spell was forecast in August) so that the roots would have grown throughout
the dirt and would hold it together in a root ball.

It is my pet peeve with buying trees in spring from our local nurseries:
their suppliers dig their trees in fall, pot them up in spring and send them
on out to the nurseries where unsuspecting folks buy them and attempt to
plant them! It takes a lot of after care to keep a lovely leafed out tree
alive once you break off all it's new root growth! I have tried every method
at keeping that dirt ball intact (wet dirt, dry dirt, cut the pot down the
sides and remove the sides to slide it into the hole on the bottom, lots of
hands, etc). Let me know what works for you...

Having said that, you really have no choice but to get the trees their own
dirt to live in.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB