nafex - [NAFEX] how grafts connect

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] how grafts connect
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 19:29:12 -0400

Wow, so none of you knows whether it's the scion or the tree or both that generates the  tissue that connects a graft.  Or did you overlook that question?  The presumption would be that it is the tree and that's why the scion is kept dormant- so it doesn't dry out before the tissue from the tree side forms a vascular hook up.  But then I wonder why so many people have good success with scion wood that was never stored and is cut from a tree beginning active growth and grafted on the same day or a bit later to another tree in active growth.

Have I uncovered a great myth about the requirements for grafting efficacy?