nafex - [NAFEX] Of Ishmael and Grappley

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Of Ishmael and Grappley
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 12:52:14 -0700

It was written:

It sounds really horrible! I wonder who's brainchild that was. I
remember tasting one of the first GM tomatoes that was touted as the
future because it had this really long shelf life. It tasted like
gasoline! I still don't understand what is so wrong with our natural
produce that "they" keep wanting to mess with it.

My reply:

A couple of answers, they want exclusivity and to brand the concept raise it
price in order to create the illusion of value.

The other answer may be found in Quinn's Ishmael(my thanks to the ever
wonderful Edwardo Fackler for calling my attention to Quinn's work). Man has
had a great deal of trouble grasping his own mortality. The interest in
these extensions is an attempt to exert control over nature, to use science
to elevate man onto an equal footing with God or the laws of nature (as Sagan
would prefer rather than a sapient entity). The desire to have grape tasting
apples, year around tomato supplies, year around melons and strawberries when
quality wise all you receive is the trappings, the illusion, or the mere
promise of the above as the taste, the aromatics, and much of the desirable
nutrition associated with the offerings has been eroded by the process used
to preserve and deliver them. These trappings are an extension of the ego of
man, and for so many these trappings so elevate the ego they overcome the
deficiency of the deliver mechanism. It is easy to see the corollary to
man's desire to control his mortality. Once needs only to look at our
medical system and witness the hand of ego, people be kept alive in a form of
stasis with an exceedingly low quality of life...and why...perhaps because we
have so much trouble letting go...for it forces us to face our own mortality.

Regards...

the fluffy one

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

  • [NAFEX] Of Ishmael and Grappley, fuwa fuwa usagi, 04/05/2009