nafex - [NAFEX] Grafting on Good Friday - Not

  • From: Rosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Grafting on Good Friday - Not
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 18:16:54 -0500

Alan,

Yes, this "Good Friday phenomenon" is based on empirical research by Maria Thun. She has stated that it is her experience that germination starts fail on Good Friday (and the hours thereabouts). She also states she has not correlated it to a celestial event (or a religion). At least that was the story last I read her discussion of it - she writes mainly in German, so I can only get what is translated into English.

I have found for myself that it really is better to avoid planting on that date. My guess is that grafting is similar to planting - it is a start of something you need to have new growth for, right? So I extrapolated to grafting. Usually by that time it is too late for pome field grafts and too early for stone fruits for me anyway, so I just don't plant the garden that day.

Barbara R
Virginia Z7