nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting/planting by the moon and stars

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting/planting by the moon and stars
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 23:04:33 -0500

Re Barbara's comments:
"Don't plant, graft, etc. on Good Friday. Not unless
you like re-planting and graft failures!"

That's interesting, because here in Tennessee it was traditional to plant beans on Good Friday. I often wonder about that, as it is almost always too cold these days to plant that day, but according to an excellent meteorologist, records show that our springs have been getting colder and our autumns warmer for about 50 years.
To me, Easter appears to be a planting holiday. The first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox. The last really bad convection frost is likely to be the full moon following the equinox. By the time the next one comes around, it should have warmed up too much to frost, here anyway. Rome is not all that far north by European standards, so I think they too would have had their last frost about that time.
Oh, but that's right. Dennis Norton has reminded me that if you are Catholic it's a different Good Friday that you shouldn't graft on from the Good Friday that you shouldn't graft on if you are Orthodox. Donna