nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Terra Preta

  • From: Sunshine Lemme <sunshine.lemme@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Terra Preta
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:57:58 -0400

The source of terra preta is biochar, basically charcoal made from biological sources.  A good site is http://www.biochar.org/joomla/ for how it works.  There are also a lot of sources of how to make charcoal from biomass, even grass and other light, small plants, online.  Just heat in a retort, presto, biochar.

On 3/29/09, Jason MacArthur <rotread@localnet.com> wrote:
Justin West wrote:

> One of the things I was looking at was biochar and the famed 'Terra
> Preta' or Amazonian Dark Earths 'ADE's.  This is really fascinating
> research going on down there, and I encourage you all to look more
> into this as far as potential soil improvement in temperate climes.

Justin- can you point us in the direction of some good research?  I
have tried Internet searches, but as so often is the case with the
Internet have spent hours looking down the wrong rabbit hole for
information.
Jason MacArthur

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----

Please do not send binary files.
Use plain text ONLY in emails!

NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

--
Lt. Sunshine Glen Lemme, M.S.

Emergency Manager, Firefighter, EMT, HazMat Tech, Technical Rescue Tech

Fire Service Instructor I, Planning Section Chief, Public Information Officer

Member, Montauk Fire Department

Member, Town of East Hampton HazMat Team

(631 668-4719

"I'm paranoid so you don't have to be."

Firefighter of the Year 2002
Lieutenant, Truck Company Five
EMT, EMS Company Four
Technical Rescue Tech
HazMat Tech

  • [NAFEX] Terra Preta, Jason MacArthur, 03/29/2009
    • Re: [NAFEX] Terra Preta, Sunshine Lemme, 03/29/2009