nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mychorizal fungal rip off?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mychorizal fungal rip off?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:39:32 -0500

There have been discussions of foliar feeds on this group with many folks saying they do nothing. Well, nothing compared to what? Nothing compared to a garden in Iowa soil I can understand. But with worthless soil, anything a plant can get is noticeably helpful.

That's a very good point, Donna. Our situations are all different. But one big problem with this kind of discussion, from my point of view, is simply that anecdotes aren't evidence. Without peer-reviewed, duplicable scientific research - with careful controls and, if possible, double-blind precautions - it's really hard to know for sure what's real and what's just an artifact of our expectations, beliefs, and hopes. And I must add that much of what I hear about mycorrhizal fungi and foliar sprays is from people who are selling the stuff (not that I think that they're lying, only that it's even easier in such a case to fool ourselves).

Let me be clear that I know NOTHING about mycorrhizal fungi (the original topic here) myself. I did use it when I planted my fruit trees, vines, and bushes in my backyard, because I figured that it couldn't hurt. But I have no idea if it was a waste of money or not. So I am not criticizing the practice. I just don't know.

But I do know that I like the scientific approach at this Horticultural Myths website:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/index.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/6d8ye6

At a quick glance, I don't see any articles about mycorrhiza, but here's a good example of an article about compost tea which clearly explains about scientific research:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/Myths/magazine%20pdfs/CompostTea.pdf

or

http://tinyurl.com/ct8lmq

I'm just trying to say - in my own long-winded way - that I'd prefer scientific evidence, one way or another, about mycorrhizal fungi, compost tea, and pretty much everything else that I might use in my life. It's not always available, in which case we must do the best we can. But there are always so many other factors that can affect personal anecdotes - including our own individual situations, as you note, but also our different levels of expertise, attention, expectations, and even chance.

Hmm,... maybe I'll send an email to Dr. Chalker-Scott requesting an article about mycorrhizal fungi. I really would like to know what scientific research there's been on adding it to new plantings. (As you suggest, I suspect that it depends on WHERE you're doing the planting.)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Last September I gave my Jack Russell terrier, Daisy, all of my money to invest. She promptly dug a hole in my backyard and buried my entire nest egg. Since then, I've beaten the S & P 500 by more than 50 percent. Now, you're probably wondering, what if your dog isn't as smart as Daisy? No worries. He's probably still smarter than you. - Andy Borowitz