nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Growing Oyster mushrooms on coffee grounds

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: jas39a@earthlink.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Growing Oyster mushrooms on coffee grounds
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:00:09 -0400

I recommend the book Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets. A brief rundown
is mix somewhat fresh grounds with oyster mushroom spawn that you buy
commercially, then spread in thick beds on the ground, or in
containers of your choice, and make sure they stay moist and humid and
mushrooms will grow. Obviously there are many many variables and
different ways you can do it, but I found it quite easy when I tried
it. I mostly grow my mushrooms on logs and woodchips now because
that's what's available, buy oysters will grow on just about anything,
and the spent grounds make awesome compost and can be used to
inoculate the next batch. You should definitely get the book if you
are interested in small scale low-tech mushrooms.

-matt