nafex - Re: [NAFEX] (no subject)[timber competition]

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] (no subject)[timber competition]
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 20:20:20 +0000

The latest word from the professionals for pine management in south central
WI (& for my situation include light soils-- w/in commuting distance of
Leopold's plantings!) is to keep black-locusts well away from pine plantings.
I think allelopathy was mentioned, but I suspect competition for moisture &
sunlight is the bigger problem.

On the other hand, some amazingly nice black-cherry can be grown in a
black-locust grove. When the cherries are forced to grow tall fast, AND are
supplied with nitrogen, they do very well.

> Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 02:09:29 -0400
> From: dwoodard
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] (no subject)
>
> I have read of American work (Wisconsin? possibly in Aldo Leopold's
> "Game Management") and seen pictures, of growing black locust with
> conifers to greatly improve the growth rate of the conifers.
>
> I have read of Russian work (published in the 1960s I think) using
> caragana to improve the growth of poplars.
>
> Doug Woodard
> St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
>

> jas39a@earthlink.net wrote:
>> I didn't see the original post, but I might weigh in here....Yellow-poplar
>> (which isn't a true poplar, but a member of the Magnolia family)
HotmailĀ® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast.