nafex - Re: [NAFEX] arctic raspberries

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, Jukka K <jpkrvi@yahoo.co.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] arctic raspberries
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 00:52:37 -0400

Jukka, do you have any knowldge of Krikon Damson which I understand originated in Sweden?

I'm interested especially in information on its fruit quality and productivity especially compared to the standard Shropshire Damson, and in any information on its use as a rootstock.

From tests in Minnesota published about 1950, and from experience of the Agriculture Canada station at Morden, Manitoba, Krikon Damson is apparently a little more cold-hardy than our hardiest generally known Prunus domesticas, Stanley and Mount Royal.

I would be interested in information about any other Prunus insititia of coldhardiness comparable to Krikon Damson that are used as rootocks for stone fruits in Sweden or Finland, or for that matter in Russia.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Jukka K wrote:
Melissa,

Similarly to cloudberry, arctic raspberry has an almost magical reputation here in Finland.

[snip]

Jukka
Helsinki, Finland

[snip]