nafex - Re: [NAFEX] arctic raspberries

  • From: Jukka K <jpkrvi@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] arctic raspberries
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 19:39:39 +0000 (GMT)

Melissa,

Similarly to cloudberry, arctic raspberry has an almost magical reputation
here in Finland. It is a very temperamental berry that grows naturally in the
whole of Finland but sets fruit only in some areas. It used to be a companion
of the old farming methods and flourished on the trench banks and gave
plentiful crops of berries to the shepherds (and anyone walking along the
sides of the meadows that were not sprayed with herbicides like they are
now). My father remembers well how he collected handfuls of the berries in
the cow pastures when he was a kid.
The flavour of arctic raspberry is quite unique and almost everyone finds it
very delicious (contrary to cloudberries, for example, that some people find
too pungent). However, the taste is very volatile and easily lost when the
berries are cooked. They say that the aroma is best captured by extraction
with ethanol. Indeed, arctic raspberry liquor is a traditional delicacy here.
Some arctic raspberry breeding has been done in Finland. A few selected
cultivars are now commercially available here (Susanna, Pima). It has also
been crossed with the North American variety R. stellarcticus which is more
robust and heavy bearing than the European cousin. A few cultivars from these
crosses have also been released (Astra, Aura, Sofia). Finally, arctic
raspberry has been crossed with the common garden raspberry in Finland
(cultivars Heija and Heisa). I haven't tasted these berries but it is said
that they have only a very slight arctic raspberry aroma.
In the garden, arctic raspberry requires a moist and peaty soil. It is a weak
competitor so weeds have to be controlled very carefully. It can be initially
planted in black plastic similarly to strawberry and the holes gradually
enlarged when the plants spread by suckers, finally removing the plastic
altogether. Or you can plant it in a spot similar to it's natural habitat and
allow to naturalize!
The berries ripen quite unevenly and remain tightly attached to the bases.
Only fully ripe, deep ruby red berries taste good.
Good luck with your arctic raspberries!

Jukka
Helsinki, Finland