nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Thoughts on Early Season Tree Spraying?

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Thoughts on Early Season Tree Spraying?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:24:04 -0500

A dormant oil spray is predominately for mites and scale. If you have a problem with these pests then I recommend a dormant oil spray. Oil sprays are temperature sensitive and must be sprayed between 45+ and 75 degrees. That makes it somewhat difficult to spray in the early spring while trees are still dormant. Because of this, I use Superior Oil - 70 sec because you can change rates and spray it even after 1/4' green if you need to. It allows for much flexibility. A Bordeaux mix can be tricky at best and can create timing issues as well. Bordeaux is suggested for those orchards that have also had fire blight issues as well as insects which is why it consists of copper sulfate, lime and miscible superior oil. It has to be mixed in the proper order and must be agitated continuously. A fixed copper spray of copper hydroxide or copper oxychloride is the other alternative without all the hassle. You cannot apply Bordeaux after 1/4" green like you can Superior oil and Bordeaux mixture residues have many compatibility problems with other pesticides and fungicides like captan. Fixed coppers can be mixed with oils, so that is why I use a fixed copper (specifically Champ) and Superior oil. You cannot use Captan within 2 weeks of a copper spray, so I use an EBDC for my first 2 apple scab sprays. This allows me much flexibility in my timing and if I need to I can mix any of these products

I have never seen the need for both a dormant oil spray and a Bordeaux spray. In fact, I only do a dormant oil spray every other season. This season is our year to spray oil. Your choice of one over the other can depend on what you choose to use for your remaining spring sprays. You and I are in almost the same climate zone, but the timing is based on tree phenology and GDD (Growing Degree Days. I use a Bio-intensive IPM program and incorporate biologicals into the program with EPA recommended Reduced Risk chemicals. We have around 12,000 trees and our spray tank holds 500 gallons of product so we can cover the orchard in 4 tanks. Most of the products you would choose depends on the particular pests you have in your orchard. I don't necessarily spray for "every" pest present in the orchard. I monitor the most prevalent each season and then choose products that will provide the best overall coverage of the pests with the least amount of sprays. Our annual budget for spraying is around $20,000 and one orchard spray can cost as much as $4,000, depending on the tank mix I might use. I try to mix as many products as possible based on timing, GDD, pests and weather.

I hope this helps!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
Office (815) 648-4467