nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grape growth habits

  • From: "Mark and Alisha Fehringer" <markandalishafehringer@peetzplace.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grape growth habits
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:31:40 -0600

I am in growing zone 4/5 in northeastern Colorado.  We normally hit -20 F. several nights each winter.  I really have no intention of laying the vines down.  I don't want to do the work, and we don't have snowcover to provide them with any protection.  We also have very low humidity, so I don't foresee mildew being a major concern either.

I think maybe my original question was not quite clear.  I really want to know from others with first-hand knowledge if the varieties listed tend to have an upward growth habit (train arms on bottom wire and let them climb upward) or if they have a drooping habit (train arms on top wire and let foliage hang downward).

Cultivars include DeChaunac, Aurore, St. Pepin, St. Croix, Foch, Frontenac, Edelweiss, Esprit, Seyval Blanc, Lucy Kuhlman, Swenson White, Canadice, Concord, Reliance.

Thanks for the insight,

Mark