nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grape growth habits

  • From: "Jim Cooper" <JCooper@lewiston.k12.id.us>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grape growth habits
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:00:09 -0700

The reason to leave them low may be to protect from freezing. If you need to
lay them down and cover for the winter. What is your lowest temp.? If in high
elevations, or very cold low to the ground may benefit.

If not they will be so much better off up off the ground. The mildew will not
be much of a problem at 6 feet off the ground. I have 25 various vines mostly
American some French. and all are up but our lowest temps are 0F. So we don't
have winter kill.

Lon's book is great, read it and read it again, it has all the answers in it!
Or email him directly, he will reply.

Jim Cooper
Automotive Technology
Lewiston High School
208-748-3213
jcooper@lewiston.k12.id.us

>>> "Mark and Alisha Fehringer" <markandalishafehringer@peetzplace.com>
>>> 3/13/2009 8:11 AM >>>
Hi all,

Last spring I put in 100 grape plants as rooted cuttings. They are all
American or French Hybrids. I am now getting my trellis up. I am finding
lots of conflicting information on the growth habits of particular cultivars.
Basically it is a vertical, upright habit VS. a trailing, drooping habit.
Descriptions from different sources often have very opposite opinions, and
some cultivars don't have much or any information readily available. Does
anyone have some first hand information? I have Lon's book, The Grape
Grower. I just need to know if I should train to the bottom wire and let
them grow up, or train to the top wire and let them hang down. We have lots
of wind, so I think if a variety could go either way, it might do better if
allowed to droop down rather than trying to stand up against the wind. Would
that make sense?
Cultivars include DeChaunac, Aurore, St. Pepin, St. Croix, Foch, Frontenac,
Edelweiss, Esprit, Seyval Blanc, Lucy Kuhlman, Swenson White, Canadice,
Concord, Reliance.

Thanks,

Mark Fehringer
Colorado