nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Box Elder

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Box Elder
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:29:10 -0500

I had heard Box Elder is 80 to 1 for making syrup but I'm not able to
pull any numbers up on the net. Anyone else have any experience.
I've tapped them a few times & added to the other maple sap.

Our woodturner at our community makes a lot of lathed bowls & goblets
from box elder that are quite nice. We've also made big wooden
stirring spoons from box elder.

~mIEKAL

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Jim Fruth <jfruth@tds.net> wrote:
> Jim Bastian said, "Box elder is basically a giant weed. It has no value for
>

>    Who have you been listening to?  Someone else who makes the same rash
> statements?
>
>    Box Elder is used for woodenware and paper pulp.  It does make a poor
> firewood but has more BTUs than Pine and lots of people burn Pine.  AND
> there are lots of folks who make maple syrup from it.  I know of a fellow
> who has 200 of them that he taps to make syrup for sale.
>
> "No value for anything?????"

  • [NAFEX] Box Elder, Jim Fruth, 03/13/2009
    • Re: [NAFEX] Box Elder, mIEKAL aND, 03/13/2009