nafex - Re: [NAFEX] frozen scionwood

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] frozen scionwood
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:09:38 -0500

At 06:54 AM 3/13/2009, you wrote:
Well I put my wood in the barn fridge to be safe from ethylene but when it got 0 degrees out the inside of the fridge got 22-25 degrees.Do I throw out or look for browning?     skip s.  zone 5

That's not as cold as it would have been if it were still on the tree, out in the orchard.
It's probably just fine.
I've had problems with scions freezing in the fridge from time to time, but I can never tell if graft failures were due to that or just because of poor technique, timing, or lack of aftercare.
I've sometimes thought that buds on pawpaw scions were damaged and mushy, but I can't recall any pomefruit, persimmon, or nut scions that I thought were noticeably unsound at the time I grafted them.

LLP