nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Box Elder Sap

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Box Elder Sap
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 08:41:42 EDT

In a message dated 3/13/2009 7:06:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu writes:

Boxelder - Acer negundo - can be tapped, and syrup
made from the collected sap, I suppose like any other
member of the maple family.  Sometime in the last 5
years or so, the Proceedings of the NNGA annual
meeting had an article in which the authors had
tapped sugar maple boxelder, black walnut, and
butternut, if I recall correctly, and syrup from all
species were well-received in a taste test.

According to my deceased Father, black walnut can give one the scoots if too much fresh walnut sap is drank. That agent that causes it supposedly dissipates when cooked down and is safe then. I've never tried it.

Jerry

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)