nafex - [NAFEX] Jam too sweet?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Jam too sweet?
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 09:38:12 -0500

Sarah from Edmonton, AB, said, "I found some Cloudberry jam at Ikea and, aside from being too sweet like almost all commercial jams...................."

Are your grocery store jellies and jams too sweet? It is the law here in the United States and, I suspect, in Canada too. The law states that jelly, jam and preserves must contain 65 brix (% solids, including sugar). If they contain less than that it is illegal to use the words "Jelly", "Jam" or "Preserves." Use of those words in a product less than 65 brix is considered fraud and is punishable as such. These laws apply only to products that are purchased for resale. These are part of the consumer protection laws.
Sugar is a preservative. If bacteria were to be introduced into these products, the bacteria would be killed via osmosis; this is why we have the law(s).
Fruit spreads that do not meet the above criteria must use other terminology (eg. "Spread") and may be preserved in other ways.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: