nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fences for deer proofing

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fences for deer proofing
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:22:56 -0600

Jim,
I'm not sure that anyone even manufactures those old 'wee-burner' type electric fence chargers anymore - too much danger of starting fires - and electrocution.
For at least 20 years, and probably even longer than that, most farm-type electric fence energizers have been of the high voltage/low impedance(low amperage) type - the one I have here on the farm powers about 10 miles of permanent HT fencing, and when everything is 'right', it puts out somewhere between 8,000 and 10,000 volts - the 'pain potential' is very high, but since the amperage is very low, the danger of accidental electrocution is almost nonexistent.

I don't know your setup, but it might be preferable to put the electric fence 3 ft outside the perimeter of your woven wire fence - if that's a possibility. They like to have an unimpeded 'flight path', and if they're having to jump the 'hotwire', 3 ft out from the main fence, they might not have enough space to clear the woven wire.

Here are the folks I buy most of my electric fencing supplies from - and they do deer/wildlife exclusion fencing, in addition to routine farm stuff.
http://www.premier1supplies.com/deer/species.php

Lucky