nafex - Re: [NAFEX] deer dogs

  • From: John Bunker <john.p.bunker@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] deer dogs
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 09:10:58 -0500

For the past 20 years we have used standard Collies to protect our orchard and gardens.  They have been great.  We've had one at a time, though we're tempted to get a second.  They stay outside all but 3 or 4 nights per year.  They won't walk in gardens.  If you call them, they will run all the way around the gardens to get to you.  Because our farm is away from other houses and on a very long driveway we can let them run free all the time. They won't roam to the neighbors.  They do bark, sometimes off and on all night.  That's what we want.  When the barking gets to be too much (a couple of times a year), I just invite them inside, praise them, and go to bed.

John Bunker
Fedco
www.fedcoseeds.com
PO Box 520