nafex - [NAFEX] Northern pecan nuts?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Northern pecan nuts?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:49:01 EST

To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:51:50 PM
Subject: [NAFEX] Any northern growers have some pecan nuts?

       Does anyone have or know who might have some pecan seeds whose origin is in Southern WI, or Northern Illinois, northern Iowa, Southern MN, Northern NE, any site with a similar growing season as Southern WI?
Thanks!
kevin bradley

Hi Kevin,

The shortest season pecan here in central Indiana is Witte.  There is another name for it and it escapes my memory right now.

The limiting factor that far north is growing season. Remember the pecan species here is the same as the southern species. Steward, a southern variety is large there. When planted here it doesn't generally mature. Major here as about the size of my thumb, considerably smaller than the southern varieties.

The advise given by another that you should get grafted trees is correct. Especially that far north. Unless you live in a micro climate pecans that mature there will be small. And even if you plant a Witte nut, the genetics could destine it to be a larger longer season nut and not mature there.

Witte is about the size of the tip of my little finger. I could supply scion wood.

Jerry

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)